Updating name on social security card

Rated 3.80/5 based on 866 customer reviews

For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.Legal Zoom is not a law firm and can only provide self-help services at your specific direction.Deliver your completed Form SS-5, certified copy of your new birth certificate and all other relevant documents to the local Social Security office or Social Security Card Center.You can find the closest office to you online at or by calling 1-800-772-1213.If you wish to return to your former or maiden name after a divorce, you can request that the judge include a formal in the divorce decree reinstating your former name.In order to change your name on your social security card after marriage, simply include your original marriage license with your social security card name change application.Obtain a certified copy of your new birth certificate, a document identifying the reason for your name change and a document that establishes your identity, such as a valid driver’s license, state-issued identification card or U. Preferably, your new birth certificate will show your old name and new name and establish why you changed your name.If your new birth certificate does not have all of this information, you should obtain a certified court order confirming your change of name.

updating name on social security card-65

updating name on social security card-9

updating name on social security card-40

Copies of marriage certificates, divorce decrees, court-ordered name changes, adoption papers and proof of citizenship must usually be presented to the Social Security Administration official in order to validate an individual’s identity.When it comes to important documents that one must keep up to date, your social security card should top the priority list. Because it is a preliminary requirement for a variety of standardized processes, including for transactions related to employment, health benefits, recreational licenses, and banking and credit applications, to name a few.Among the reasons to need a social security card name change are a marriage, divorce or legal name change (i.e., a judge has officially approved a new name).Typically, at least one of the following original documents will need to be presented: However, if your name change occurred more than two years prior to the time at which you order the social security card name change, the SSA may require additional proof of identity.Likewise, the SSA may rule that any of the above materials are insufficient as is, and will also require supplementary proof of identity in order to process the application.

Leave a Reply